Barnham Junction

For several years before the War and for 20 years after it, my father Wilf Richards commuted to London via Three Bridges from Barnham Junction.  He drove from Middleton to the station and although my father was a dear and lovely man, he was a hopeless driver.  Born in 1892, he was from that generation who’d gone into WW1 on horseback and who’d learned to drive before there was a test.  Stalling and jerking, he’d crunch his way up through the gears, though the fourth remained an unattainable mystery to him.  He drove so slowly that the milk float or a sprightly pedestrian could overtake him.  He would leave at 7 am, drive up the Yapton Road past PC Luck’s house and Comet Corner where the old stagecoach stopped.  Up towards Bilsham where our family admired the handsome farmhouse covered in Virginia creeper.  He’d grind and buck through Yapton, past the old windmill and under the railway bridge to park in a friend’s garage near the station.  He never learned parallel parking but that didn’t matter as he only ever drove to the station or to the golf club.  He stopped driving when he was 93 and a gentle sigh of relief was heard from all road users in Middleton and Felpham.

This 3½ hour daily commute wasn’t particularly arduous for dad.  He’d devour The Times from cover to cover, do the crossword and sip tea.   On the return journey, he and three friends had a table reserved for them and they’d play bridge.  Once, they were so absorbed in their games that they overshot Barnham and were surprised to find themselves pulling into the train’s final stop at Portsmouth Harbour.  Dad hung on every word of those opinionated bridge-playing friends.  He’d proffer a view to us on the latest topic with, “The train says….”

If mum needed the car she’d take him to the station and I would go along for the ride.  A vivid memory is that of visiting the Livestock market opposite the station. Steaming, bellowing cattle being unloaded into the forecourt, farmers shouting and bantering with each other, squealing pigs and bleating sheep, muck everywhere.  Rabbits and chickens were in cages in the large open area and there were stalls of market garden produce.  This weekly market closed in 1949 when I was five but it made a lasting impression on me.

Sometimes we’d see friends off at Barnham Junction.  On one of these occasions, my brother and I thought it’d be great fun to roller skate down the ramp from Platform 1, round the sharp corner to the ticket hall.  Madness I know, but one could do that sort of thing in those days.  I hadn’t realised how fast we’d be able to go and within seconds from starting, had the terrifying image of the white tiles on the wall at the bottom of the ramp rushing up towards me.  My brother stylishly glided around the corner at the bottom.  I alas, did not.  My pride, not my knees, took the biggest dent.

One post-Christmas treat in the late 1940s was a day trip to Olympia in London for Bertram Mills Circus No need to become enveloped in nostalgia here with misty images of a mighty steam train moving majestically out of Barnham.  Southern trains were electrified and were freezing cold, the loos were unspeakably filthy and all the seats were deeply imbued with the smell of nicotine.  However, there were diverting posters urging us to Visit Skegness, a proper, non-schematic map of Southern Railway routes so we could follow our journey and an advert with a picture of a Ptarmigan which taught us the useless rule about a silent P in spelling. I adored train journeys and remember being captivated by RL Stevenson’s poem From a Railway Carriage:

Faster than fairies, faster than witches,
Bridges and houses, hedges and ditches;
And charging along like troops in a battle,
All through the meadows the horses and cattle:
All of the sights of the hill and the plain
Fly as thick as driving rain;
And ever again, in the wink of an eye,
Painted stations whistle by.


By the time we reached the south London suburbs, the train had slowed.  There were bomb sites with mountains of rubble and where plants grew out of walls.  The train diddly-durred across the bridge and came to a halt into the hurly burly, smoky whirl of Victoria Station.  (Aside, It’s a slight mystery to me why modern trains don’t go diddly dur.  We were taught then that there was a gap so the track could expand in the summer heat without buckling.  What happens when today’s continuous track expands?)

It was from Barnham Junction that I left home to work and live in London.  My trusty bike came too and mum asked that I phone home to reassure her of my safe arrival.  This I did and told her that the cycle ride from Victoria to Earls Court was fine apart from one nameless, huge and busy roundabout.  It turned out to be Hyde Park Corner – quite scary for this country girl to negotiate.

I often surf back to the places of my childhood via google earth.  This has led to a discovery.  I’d always thought that Barnham Junction was at the centre of the village but now discover that the old village is south of the tracks and that a church has stood on that site for over 1000 years.  How did I miss this on those bike rides in childhood where I loved visiting the old villages in West Sussex with their walls of knapped flint and their beautiful churches?  It’s time to put the bike on the train to Barnham Junction. Will this silver-haired septuagenarian wheel her bike sedately down that ramp to explore the area or will she be tempted to zoom down and do a wheelie skid at the bottom?  You bet!

 
Photo of Barnham Junction by Ben Brooksbank via Wikipedia

 
Unloading at Barnham Market
 
The ramp today - still perfect for roller skating?  Photo by Bashereye

The right then left-hand turn at modern Comet Corner.  Dad would still be waiting by the red lorry if the junction was like this in his day

Comments

  1. David Wise from the excellent FB group Bognor Regis Flashback contributed this comment: My memory of Barnham......whilst at Chi Hi (Chichester High School) we got the train from Chichester to Bognor....this was early 1950s...it stopped at Barnham and then went a short distance towards Brighton, stopped, and then returned to Barnham on the Line to Bognor.......first Detention I got I got the a train at Chi to go home to Bognor and thought all trains did this manoeuvre.....WRONG....I ended up at Littlehampton.....!!!! He added, They had the Train in two sections....front 2 Carriages for the Boys the other 2 were for the Girls....Door between was locked.....ha ha we “purloined” a Key..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Turner from the Bognor FB group commented: "I used to get the train from Barnham into Bognor on a Saturday and spend my saved up pocket money on Hornby track I bought from Gamleys. I loved the small white (single) or pink (return) cardboard tickets and the excitement of travelling alone. I must have been 10 at most." Thanks Bill, I remember those little tickets too. How lovely that you were trusted to travel alone on the train too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon Harwood commented: I lived in Marshall close from 1966 until 1982 then on the farm by St Mary's Church and into Gospond road.. still here now. My grandads worked the railways. One was the P-Way inspector William 'Bill' Weaver and they lived in the house that is between the car park and what was corralls coal yard until he passed away. Grandad Reg Dummer worked in the rail gangs with his son Peter... until he retired. I remember the announcement to and from London, Brighton and Southampton.... those were the days x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another member wrote: Our house backed onto the line just opposite the sub station. Lived the from 1966 until 1988ish. And my uncle Reg used to be 1 of the signal men at Barnham ...happy days

    ReplyDelete
  5. A comment from Sue Champion "Thank you for this... Great memories! I was born in the early 60s in a house just by Barnham Bridge with its garden backing onto the railway. Used to wave at the trains as they slowed down to go into the station. Could recite all the stops to Brighton and Southampton from a very early age as could hear the announcements clearly from our garden! Still love trains... Happy days!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting comment from the Milland Valley-Local railway history group about the old photo of Barnham Station. "Every item in this shot says Southern Railway. Before we became obsessed with logos and liveries the SR achieved brand recognition by design - the lamp posts, the style of platform construction, the appearance of various buildings, the shape of canopies"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your interesting blog posts, especially the many mentions of Middleton which my hubby has known since he was a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia - I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog, I love a good old wander back down memory lane!

      Delete
  8. My grandfather worked for the railroad, but died when I was only 2. My grandmother had a 'widow's pass' and took on on train trips to her house many times. The RL Stevenson poem always reminds me of those.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gateway School, Felpham - 1948 - 1954

The Coronation 1953