Learning to Swim


Can you remember where you learned to swim?  We took our first, unaided strokes in the sea - not something that's particularly easy for small children to do in the choppy English channel with salty splashes in our faces, stones underfoot and fronds of slippery seaweed floating around.  In the 1940s, armbands had yet to reach Sussex.  I vaguely remember rubber rings with unreliable stoppers and also some flabby perished water wings which any passing wave could sweep away from under our arms. We had a huge inner tube from a tractor tyre which was fine if one could position it correctly and avoid the large metal valve giving us a painful jab.

Bobbing about in the water with me and my brother (below) is the dearest German helper called  Margaret who lived with us for many years from 1946.  She was known as Tante (aunt) and I adored her.  At that time the four of us were all under ten.  Tante was probably in her late 30s but what mystifies me is how come we had a German national living with us so soon after the War?  My father, who'd served in the trenches in one world war and in the Home Guard in the next, couldn't bear any reference to Germany at all.  Yet such rancour was overcome as there we were, a household of seven, all living peaceably together with Tante teaching us German songs, stories and rhymes whilst helping the four of us build a strong, positive view on her culture.

I see the bridge-building hand of my far-sighted and wise mother at work here.






My brother, Tante and me at Middleton in 1949




Happy fit to burst, the day I learned to swim


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gateway School, Felpham - 1948 - 1954

Barnham Junction

Ponies