Back to Bognor

Memory cells are capricious.   I've forgotten where I left my bike this morning but memories of Sussex by the Sea from seventy years ago are sharply etched in my mind.  Here's a photo of our family on the beach at Middleton-on-Sea in 1954 taking a walk on a hot and glorious summer day.  The sand is warm under our bare feet and there's a lovely saltiness in the air.  We are probably slathered in some shiny cream designed to enhance the tanning properties of the sun - we have no idea how damaging this will be.

It's one of the last photos of the four of us together.  My elder sister is already a glamorous young woman who's studying Dance and Drama.  My next sister with the sunhat is in her last year at school and my wiry, sporting brother, holding his camera, is already a seriously talented tennis player.  I am none of these things.

Comments

  1. ... as a young family. I remember remembering at the time that this was a moment to remember as well having an endearing love for the effect the outgoing tide had on shaping the sand. Magic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gateway School, Felpham - 1948 - 1954

Barnham Junction

Ponies